To develop and lead the pastoral care within Yeovil Community Church, and to work collaboratively with other members of the Strategy Team to ensure our pastoral care aligns with the vision of YCC’s Leadership Team.
- Oversee the pastoral care / provision for the congregation, primary delivered through Small Groups and targeted pastoral support
- Oversee the delivery of pastoral care of staff and volunteers across the different operational areas (Operations, Creative & Community)
- Develop our Mental Health strategy for both Church and Community response
- Be a member of the Strategy Team, to ensure that pastoral care aligns with the wider vision of the YCC Leadership Team
- Line Management of the Pastoral Worker to plan, deliver and review YCC pastoral care.
- Update Leaders on any pastoral concerns where appropriate
- Be a point of contact for:
- Small Group Cluster Leaders
- Prayer Ministry Team
- Leaders of other groups with pastoral care elements (e.g. Poppins, Oaks, Link Up & Young@Heart).
- Plan the support and training volunteers, and deliver if required
- Arrange (and deliver where appropriate) training for Small Group Leaders (e.g. Safeguarding adults, General leadership skills, Pastoral care, Bereavement awareness etc.).
- Support and over-see the delivery of pastoral and discipleship courses (e.g. Alpha, The Marriage Course and Pre-Marriage Course).
- Arrange and host Small Group Cluster Leader events
- Arrange and host Small Group Leaders events to celebrate what they do and thank them
- Organise Welcome events for Newcomers (3 times a year)
The post holder will have budgetary responsibility for aspects of our Pastoral ministry.
The post holder will be responsible for line managing the Chaplain, and for leading, directing and supporting a number of teams of volunteers.
- Recognizing and managing pastoral concerns
- Implementing pastoral support processes
- Organising and motivating people
- Managing and developing staff and volunteers
- Working within a team with leadership responsibility
- Effective collaboration and delivery of outcomes
- Leading within a Christian context, displaying maturity and wisdom
The post holder will be closely integrated with the leadership team. Our expectation is that they will swiftly demonstrate the maturity of Christian character and understanding such that (if not already a part of the team) they can be confidently commended to the church to serve in this role.
Skills and Abilities
- Good listening skills, and the ability to identify pastoral and discipleship needs and sign-post people to the best help available
- Strategic organisational leadership skills, showing an ability to find workable solutions with the available resources
- Well-established ability to motivate and manage others, including sensitively handling conflict and confrontation
- Self-motivated initiator and problem-solver
- Effective written and verbal communicator to a wide range of audiences
- Able and willing to work flexibly.
- Committed to the ethos and beliefs of YCC, as expressed in our Mission, Values and Vision (365)
- A good boundary setter, who is able to maintain their own health and well-being while managing the pastoral care of others
- Resilient and reliable
- A commitment to personal development and supervision.
There is a Genuine Occupational Requirement for the post holder to be a committed Christian, and the successful applicant will be required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
More information can be found in the full job description here.